Paul A. Silverstein
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Chicago, 1998
M.A., Anthropology, University of Chicago, 1994
A.B., Anthropology, Princeton University, 1992
Research and Teaching Interests
Immigration, race/ethnicity, nationalism, colonialism/post-coloniality, cultural politics, sport, urban anthropology, historical anthropology, practice theories, Marxian and post-Marxian theory, Islam, Berber activism, France, North Africa, Middle East.
- Algeria in France: Transpolitics, Race, and Nation. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2004
- Memory and Violence in the Middle East and North Africa. Edited with Ussama Makdisi. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2006
- Bourdieu in the Field: Colonial Politics, Ethnographic Practices, Theoretical Developments. Edited with Jane Goodman. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2009.
- Sporting Faith: Islam, Soccer, and the French Nation-State. Social Text. 65/18 (4): 25-53, 2000.
- An Excess of Truth: Violence, Conspiracy Theory, and the Algerian Civil War. Anthropological Quarterly. 75 (4): 641-672, 2002.
- France's Mare Nostrum: Colonial and Postcolonial Constructions of the French Mediterranean. Journal of North African Studies. 7 (4): 1-22, 2002.
- Martyrs and Patriots: Ethnic, National, and Transnational Dimensions of Kabyle Politics. Journal of North African Studies. 8 (1): 87-111, 2003.
- On Rooting and Uprooting: Kabyle Habitus, Domesticity, and Structural Nostalgia. Ethnography. 5 (4): 553-578, 2004.
- The New Barbarians: Piracy and Terrorism on the North African Frontier. CR: The New Centennial Review. 5 (1): 179-212, 2005.
- Immigrant Racialization and the New Savage Slot: Race, Migration, and Immigration in the New Europe. Annual Review of Anthropology. 34: 363-384, 2005.
- The Context of Antisemitism and Islamophobia in France. Patterns of Prejudice. 42 (1): 1-26, 2008.
- The Cultivation of "Culture" in the Moroccan Amazigh Movement. Review of Middle Eastern Studies. 43 (2): 168-177, 2010.
- Masquerade Politics: Race, Islam, and the Scales of Amazigh Activism in Southeastern Morocco. Nations and Nationalism. 17 (1): 65-84, 2011.
- A New Morocco? Amazigh Activism, Political Pluralism, and Anti-Anti-Semitism in the Wake of Tahrir. Brown Journal of World Affairs. 18 (2): 129-140, 2012.
- In the Name of Culture: Berber Activism and the Material Politics of "Popular Islam" in Southeastern Morocco. Material Religion, forthcoming.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- The Kabyle Myth: The Production of Ethnicity in Colonial Algeria. In From the Margins: Historical Anthropology and Its Futures. Ed. Brian Keith Axel. Durham: Duke University Press, pp. 122-155, 2002.
- Stadium Politics: Sport, Islam, and Amazigh Consciousness in France and North Africa. In With God on their Side: Sport in the Service of Religion. Ed. Tara Magdalinski and Timothy Chandler. London: Routledge, pp. 37-70, 2002.
- Why Are We Waiting to Start the Fire?': French Gangsta Rap and the Critique of State Capitalism. In Black, Blanc, Beur: Rap Music and Hip Hop Culture in the Francophone World. Ed. Alain-Philippe Durand. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, pp. 45-67, 2002.
- Guerilla Capitalism and Ghettocentric Cosmopolitanism in the French Urban Periphery. In Frontiers of Capital: Ethnographic Reflections on the New Economy. Ed. Melissa Fisher and Gregory Downey. Durham: Duke University Press, pp. 282-304, 2006.
- The Maghrib Abroad: Immigrant Transpolitics and Cultural Involution in France. In The Maghrib in the New Century: Identity, Religion, and Politics. Ed. Bruce Maddy-Weitzman and Daniel Zissenwine. Ganesville: University of Florida Press, pp. 235-264, 2007.
- Thin Lines on the Pavement: The Racialization and Spatialization of Violence in Postcolonial (Sub)Urban France. In Gendering Urban Space in the Middle East, South Asia, and Africa. Ed. Kamran Ali and Martina Rieker. New York: Palgrave/Macmillan, pp. 169-205, 2008.
- Kabyle Immigrant Politics and Racialized Citizenship in France. In Citizenship, Political Engagement, and Belonging: Immigrants in Europe and the United States. Ed. Deborah Reed-Danahay and Caroline B. Brettell. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, pp. 23-42, 2008.
- The Local Dimensions of Transnational Berberism: Racial Politics, Land Rights, and Cultural Activism in Southeastern Morocco. Berbers and Others: Shifting Parameters of Ethnicity in the Contemporary Maghrib. Ed. Katherine Hoffman and Susan Gilson Miller. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 83-102, 2010.
- The Fantasy and Violence of Religious Imagination: Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism in France and North Africa. In Islamophobia/Islamophilia: Beyond the Politics of Enemy and Friend. Ed. Andrew Shryock. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp 141-171, 2010.
- Le Patrimoine du ghetto: Rap et racialisation des violences urbains en France. In L'Atlantique Multiracial. Ed. James Cohen, Andrew Diamond, and Philippe Vervaecke. Paris: Karthala, pp. 95-118, 2012.
- The Pragmatics and Politics of Anthropological Collaboration on the North African Frontier. In Anthropology of the Middle East and North Africa: Into the New Millennium. Ed. Sherine Hafez and Susan Slyomovics. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, forthcoming.
- The Anthropologist and the Activist. In Encountering Morocco: The Anthropological Experience of a Muslim Society. Ed. David Crawford and Rachel Newcomb. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, forthcoming.
Short Articles, Reviews, etc.
- Realizing Myth: The Berber Movement in Algeria and France. Middle East Report 200/26 (3): 11-15, 1996.
- Rebels and Martyrs: Kabyle Mobilization and the Assassination of Lounès Matoub. Middle East Report. 208/28 (3): 3-4, 1998.
- Review of Monsters and Revolutionaries: Colonial Family Romance and Métissage, Françoise Vergès (Durham: Duke University Press, 1999). Anthropological Quarterly. 73 (4): 218-219, 2000.
- Regimes of (Un)Truth: Conspiracy Theory and the Transnationalization of the Algerian Civil War. Middle East Report. 214/30 (1): 6-10, 2000.
- 'No Pardon': Rage and Revolt in Kabylia. Middle East Insight. 16 (4): 61-65, 2001.
- Review of Rethinking Comparative Cultural Sociology: Repertoires of Evaluation in France and the United States, eds. Michèle Lamont and Laurent Thévenot (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000). American Journal of Sociology. 107 (2): 529-530, 2001.
- Headscarves and the French Tricolor. Middle East Report Online. <www.merip.org>. January 29, 2004.
- Amazigh Activism and the Moroccan State. Middle East Report. 233/34 (4): 44-48 (with David Crawford), 2004.
- Watching Soap Operas and Making Chips: Silicon Valley Exposed. Review Essay of Work in the New Economy: Flexible Labor Markets in Silicon Valley, Chris Benner (Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, 2002); Connecting: How We Form Social Bonds and Communities in the Internet Age, Mary Chayko (Albany: SUNY Press, 2002); and The Silicon Valley of Dreams: Environmental Justice, Immigrant Workers, and the High-Tech Global Economy, David Pellow and Lisa Sun-Hee Park (New York: NYU Press. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 28 (2): 477-481, 2004.
- States of Fragmentation in North Africa. Middle East Report. 237/35 (4): 26-33, 2005.
- Review of Generous Betrayal: Cultural Pluralism in the New Europe, Uni Wikan (Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2002). American Ethnologist. 32 (1), 2005.
- Review of Affirmative Exclusion: Cultural Pluralism and the Rule of Custom in France, Jean-Loup Amselle (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2003). American Anthropologist. 107 (3): 509-510, 2005.
- Postcolonial Urban Apartheid. Items and Issues. 5 (4): 8-15, 2006.
- Review of Bringing the Empire Back Home: France in the Global Age, Herman Lebovics (Durham: Duke University Press, 2004). American Ethnologist. 33 (4), 2006.
- Review of Policing Paris: The Origins of Modern Immigration Control Between the Wars, Clifford Rosenberg (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2006). American Journal of Sociology. 113 (6): 1787-1790, 2008.
- The Veil Controversy in France. Review Essay of The Politics of the Veil, Joan Scott (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2006) and Why the French Don't Like Headscarves, John R. Bowen (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2007). Middle East Studies Bulletin. 42 (1-2): 120-122, 2009.
- Review of Berber Culture on the World Stage: From Village to Video, Jane E. Goodman (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2005). International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies. 41 (1): 164-166, 2009.
- The Tragedy and Farce of French Football Politics. Periscope Web Forum on the World Cup. Social Text. <www.socialtextjournal.org/periscope/2010/07/the-tragedy-and-farce-of-french-football-politics.php>, 2010.
- Review of Village Matters: Knowledge, Politics, and Community in Kabylia, Algeria, Judith Scheele (Oxford: James Currey, 2009). Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute (N.S.). 16: 429-430. 2010.
- Review of Ethnicity, Inc., John L. and Jean Comaroff (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2009). Journal of Consumer Culture. 11 (1): 127-129.
- Weighing Morocco's New Constitution. Middle East Report Online. <http://www.merip.org/mero/mero070511>, July 5, 2011.
- Review of Women of Fes: Ambiguities of Urban Life in Morocco, Rachel Newcomb (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2009). American Anthropologist. 113 (3): 524-525, 2011.
- Review of The Harkis: The Wound that Never Heals, Vincent Crapanzano (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2011). Anthropological Quarterly. 84 (4): 1035-1038.
- Review of Violent Modernity: France in Algeria, Abdelmajid Hannoum (Cambridge: Harvard Center for Middle Eastern Studies, 2010). International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies 44 (1): 199-201, 2012.
- Review of We Share Walls: Language, Land, and Gender in Berber Morocco, Katherine E. Hoffman (Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2008). Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 22 (1): 120-121, 2012.
Anth 211: Introduction to Anthropology - Syllabus PDF
Anth 324: Sport and Society (not offered 2012-13) - Syllabus PDF
Anth 328: Anthropology of the Mediterranean (not offered 2012-13)
Anth 336: Anthropology through Morocco (not offered 2012-13) - Syllabus PDF
Anth 339: Ethnicity and Nation in France and North Africa (not offered 2012-13)
Anth 352: Anthropology of Europe (not offered 2012-13)
Anth 355: Anthropology of Colonialism - Syllabus PDF
Anth 361: The Middle East: Culture and Politics - Syllabus PDF
Anth 374: Urban Anthropology (not offered 2012-13) - Syllabus PDF
Anth 380: Anthropology of Class
Anth 398: Race and Migration (not offered 2012-13) - Syllabus PDF
Anth 426: Marx and Marxian Anthropologies (not offered 2012-13) - Syllabus PDF
Anth 460: After Structuralism (not offered 2012-13)
LBST 548: Sports and Social Life (not offered 2012-13)
LBST 588: Railways and Modernity (not offered 2012-13)