Resource Guide for Chinese Langauge (Library website)
Fall 2014 Chinese drop-in tutoring schedule
|Class-specific resources||Recommended dictionaries|
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online (Reed only): Chinese-English and English-Chinese dictionaries with audio of native-speaker pronunciation
- MDBG Chinese-English Dictionary
The following software is available in the Instructional Media Center:
- Learn Chinese Now! (Interactive software) PL1125.E6 L43 2002 CD-ROM
- Pinyin Table - A Chinese Pinyin table with pronunciation sound clips.
- Character Sheet Generator
- Pinyin Conversion - This site converts any Chinese text into Pinyin.
- Ting Flashcard Reader - A Flashcard system that allows you to save words to lists for later testing. A downloadable, offline version is also available. Be sure to read the directions on the webpage; if you'd like to create your own vocabulary lists for study, register for free with Ting Study Center.
- ChinesePod - 1000 podcasts for Chinese learners at all levels, from absolute beginners to advanced students, as well as other Chinese-learning materials. For login information, email Weiwei Zhang, stop by her office (ETC 223) or, in the evenings or on weekends, ask the language resource assistant on duty in the lab.
- Rutgers Multimedia Chinese Teaching System Useful resources for beginning, intermediate, and advanced students: reading and listening practice, as well as comprehensive drills in grammar and vocabulary.
- SocialMandarin - An online community that collects information for learning Mandarin online.
- Cojak Hanzi Dictionary - Explanation of the radicals that make up Mandarin chinese characters.
- Mandarin Tools offers online tools for learning Chinese.
- Chinese Tools converts Chinese text to HTML format.
- Arch Chinese offers various tools for practicing vocabulary and character writing.
Recommended Apps (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.)
- Common Chinese Idioms - Chinese App containing a dictionary of 100 common Chinese Idioms.
- Nciku Chinese Dictionary - Characters can be drawn on the touch screen, allowing for easy input into the dictionary.
- Nciku Reader - A free ebook reader that allows the user to download and read books in Chinese with built-in translation.
- Skritter Chinese - A tool helps you to learn and practice writing Chinese characters.
Recommended YouTube Channels
- Medlock Method - Language lessons that focus on useful day to day phrases.
- A Foreigner's Perspective - A Chinese speaking American explores China. Useful for both language practice and cultural exposure.
Recommended YouTube Movies
Literary and cultural resources
- Chinese fables (Wellesley College) - Audio and texts for intermediate and advanced students.
- Classic Chinese literature - A collection of chinese texts in both Mandarin and English.
- Zhongwen readings - Classic Chinese texts with character definitions.
- Chinese verse forms - Overview of Chinese poetry.
- Stefan Landsberger's Chinese propaganda poster pages
- Cultural-China - A look at China's history, literature and art.
- Bodhi tree center - Chinese Cultural Center in Portland.
- Douban FM - A radio station that plays world music, particularly Chinese and Japanese artists.
- Mei shi tian xia (美食天下) - a collection of Chinese recipes.
- Ttmeishi （天天美食) - a collection of more than 30,000 Chinese recipes.
- Chinese Cultural Studies: Pinyin/Wade-Giles Names - A list of names familiar in their Wade-Giles form and their Pinyin form. Definitely explore the rest of the site for information on Chinese culture and history.
Newspapers (in the Pollock Reading Room)
- China Daily (North American edition) = Chung kuo jih pao
- Ren min ri bao (Hai wai ban) = People's Daily (Shelved as Jen min jih pao (Hai wai pan))
- Shi jie ri bao = Chinese World
- Xin min wan bao = Xinmin Evening News (Shelved as Hsin min wan pao)
Online Newspapers and Magazines
- China Daily Online Ch/En
- China Times News Ch
- China Cultural News Ch
- Beijing Scene Ch/En
- Global Times En
- Show China News Ch/En
- Last Train Home (2009): A documentary chronicling the journey of two Chinese migrant factory workers on their way back home for the Chinese New year. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Farewell, My Concubine (1993): The story of a decades-long friendship between two opera performers in the Peking Opera. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (Drama, 2002): A love sriangle unfolds between two educated, upper middle class boys and a rural Sichuan girl against the backdrop of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Yahoo China （雅虎中国 ）
- Wikipedia （维基百科）
- Amazon （亚马逊）
- MSN （msn中文）
- Voice of America （美国之音中文）
- renren.com (Chinese version of Facebook--人人网)
Top 3 Universities (2012)
Top 2 Foreign Language Studies Unversities
Chinese language games
- Yellowbridge A simple memory matching game. It has preset games specifically for the different integrated Chinese textbooks.
- Digital Dialects Multiple choice games for expanding vocabulary. Organized in categories.
- BBC Languages-Chinese A character learning game. Helps you with the strokes.