Support for Writing a Thesis Paper
Other Quantitative Skills Centers
Quantitative Skills Assessment and Improvement
GRE Test Prep
General Approaches to Problem Solving
General Learning Guides and Life Strategies
Reed's Computing & Information Services
Tips for writing and formatting your thesis
- Tips for Critical Reading
- Carleton College
College website that contains links and resources to related quantitative skills programs
- University of Washington Bothell
Another college website that contains links and resources to quantitative skills development
- Bowdoin College
- Dartmouth College
Math Electronic Bookshelf - for interdisciplinary math approaches
- Are You Prepared?
Portland Community College website that contains self-tests you can use to identify your level of math skills mastery from arithmetic through calculus.
- General Learning Resources
University of Texas at Austin Learning Center learning resources on the following topics:
Life Skills: Motivation & Procrastination, Physiology, Time Management,
Writing, Anxiety & Stress Management
Strategic Learning: Concentration, Learning, Memory, Note Taking,
Reading, Speed Reading, Test Taking
Math Handouts: Calculus, Algebra, Trigonometry
- Algebra Review: Bryn Mawr College
- Online math problem generator: CSU-Dominguez Hills Math Review for Introductory Chemistry
- Success in Mathematics: Saint Louis University Department of Mathematics and Computer Science website about how to succeed when studying math (with available PDF download)
- Math Links: Math games for amusement or assistance
- LearningExpress: Skill building and tests
These books are designed specifically for self-instruction and are available for on-site use in the Quantitative Skills Center resource library. Most are also available in either the Reed library or through Summit.
- Forgotten Algebra by Barbara Lee Bleau. Great self-guided course for students who either have forgotten their algebra or never really got it the
first time around. Chapters are arranged by topic.
- Mathematics: A Second Chance. This book was published in Britain so has some slightly unfamiliar vocabulary in places, but is otherwise
excellent in taking the student from arithmetic to calculus in a straightforward way with plenty of practice problems.
- Quick Calculus by Daniel Kleppner and Norman Ramsey. Co-authored by a Nobel-prizewinner in physics, this is a quick review or first run-
through of integral and differential calculus. While not a replacement for a true first course in calculus, it may be a helpful refresher for
students taking classes in other subjects where calculus is used.
- Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson. A classic text that uses an intuitive approach to the explanation of calculus concepts.
Recommended to me by a recent Reed econ alumnus who claims that for the first time he feels he can actually grasp calculus.
If you are looking to improve your math skills, please contact Ryland Bell in the Dorothy Johansen House, phone: 503/517-7670. Ryland can help you set up an individualized skills development program with weekly or occasional follow-up.
For support with reading more effectively and improving your writing process, contact Julie Maxfield: 503/517-7722. Julie can meet with you every week, every assignment, or every semester to help identify reading and writing strategies for academic success.
- Meet with Career Services!!! Resources available about:
Career Exploration, Graduate and Professional Schools
GRE, LSAT & MCAT Test Prep
and the opportunity for individual meetings with staff
- General GRE review
Texas State U San Marcos Student Learning Assistance Center
- Vocabulary review
Michigan State University Vocabulary Review
Vocabulary Web Games
- Math review
West Texas A&M
Professors Freedman's Math Help
- General graduate school information
- Solving Science Problems
Oberlin Physics Problem Solving Site
The Seven D's Method of Physics Problem Solving
Bryn Mawr Chemistry Problem Solving Site
The A through E Problem-Solving Approach in Chemistry
- Overcoming Test Anxiety
Overcoming Test Anxiety Tips from Alma College
University of Minnesota-Duluth Student Handbook
Middle Tennessee State University Study Skills Help Page
Testtakingtips.com (test taking skills, strategies & techniques)
- General Tips for Studying & Lifelong Learning:
Study Guides and Strategies (Skills for Lifelong Learning)
Stickk (Simple Steps to Achieve Your Goals)
- Assignment Tracking
- Task Lists & Organization Skills
- Time management, and so much more! Interactive tools and tips.
- Online flashcards (Quizlet) for language-learning, GRE vocabulary, and lots more. Make your own or use an existing set.
- More flashcards (StudyBlue) and a place to store notes for each of your classes. Also lets you send your notes and flashcards to a mobile device.
- Software to avoid the temptations of the Internet: http://macfreedom.com
- Great article from The Chronicle of Higher Education on Study Tips & Strategies
- Meta-list of resources for your personal and academic life
- Motivational, task-based accountability: http://mytomatoes.com